At HCCS our students take state assessments at the end of the year to show their cumulative knowledge and learning. In 3rd through 8th grade, students take two English Language Arts Smarter Balanced assessments and two Math Smarter Balanced assessments at the end of each school year. While 5th and 8th grade students take Smarter Balanced science assessments. Students utilize the Oregon Statewide Assessment System (OSAS) to take SBAC state tests.
What is Smarter Balanced?
Oregon is part of a team of states working together voluntarily to develop K12 assessments in English language arts/literacy and mathematics aligned to Oregon’s Common Core State Standards.
How are Smarter Balanced tests different from old tests?
Our students deserve better tests, ones that measure high-level skills rather than the ability to memorize facts or deduce answers from lists. More importantly, our students deserve tests that give them the opportunity to show what they know and can do. Smarter Balanced tests go above and beyond filling in multiple choice bubbles and actually showcase students’ thoughts and explanations for how they solve problems.
- Aligned to more challenging standards (common core), Smarter Balanced tests better measure what skills and knowledge our students need to be successful.
- Test questions come in many different forms, and allow students to interact with graphs and type in their own responses in addition to selecting answers from traditional multiple choice lists.
- Essay questions ask students to use evidence from multiple sources of texts to create their arguments and explain their reasoning.
- Developed with experts to include tools and supports that address visual, auditory, and physical access barriers, Smarter Balanced tests are designed to meet the needs of all students.
- The tests are not timed so your child can take as long as he or she needs to fully demonstrate what he or she knows and can do.
Click HERE for more information about the Smarter Balanced Assessments